Expectations And Resource Guide Discussion
Assignment 1 Expectations and Resource Guide
Assignment 1 – Facebook Live Killings (Due: End of Week 3 and worth 150 points)
· Assignment should be 2-3 pages
· Cover Page – Name and Date only
· DO NOT write the questions of the assignment in your paper
· Your Assignment must be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with 1-inch margins on all sides
This is a resource – you are not required to answer all these questions but your answers should reflect an understanding of all these questions.
Question 1. Discuss whether you believe that Facebook has a legal or ethical duty as to what gets posted on its platform. If someone is recorded and viewed getting hurt, is Facebook legally liable to the victim? Why or why not?
Foundation from reading Chapters 1, 2, and 8 – Jennings, Marianne. (2018). Business: It’s Legal, Ethical, and Global Environment (11th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning..
· Discuss the definition of Law and Ethics.
· What is Legal duty?
· What is and Ethical duty?
· What is corporate responsibility?
· Based on your discussion of the law, does Facebook have a legal or ethical duty as to the content posted on its platform?
· What is the law on Facebook liability for content posted on its site?
· Is Facebook legally liable to a victim that is videotaped on its site?
Question 2. Research and suggest three ways that social media platforms such as Facebook can be more proactive and thorough in reviewing the conduct and content of what appears on their sites, and in preventing acts of violence. Support your answer.
· Conduct research on social media platforms on proactive ways to monitor content.
· Identify technology, flagging inappropriate content, training and hiring of workforce.
· Explain how it works.
· How does Facebook already discourage users from broadcasting inappropriate content?
· You can also highlight known cases of social media platforms being proactive in removing violent or inappropriate content from their site.
Question 3. Determine whether Facebook can be sued for invasion of privacy if one’s personal information, likes, dislikes, and photos are shared with product and advertising agencies.
· Define the tort of invasion of privacy.
· What is regarded as personal information?
· What is meant by “sharing” personal information?
· Based on the law can Facebook be sued for the tort of invasion of privacy for sharing personal information?
Question 4. Propose two (2) changes Facebook should adopt to encourage ethical use of their platform.
· What is the company’s ethical and moral compass?
· Can Facebook be more ethical? How?
· Examining the use of technology today in other platforms.
· How will the changes work that you identified?
Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment.
Quality resources are course textbook, published books, academic journal articles, and expert report. Wikipedia is not accepted.
Source Page must follow Strayer Writing Standards for citing sources in the text of the paper that correspond to the Source Page. Please review how to cite your sources per the link in our BB page.
The following citation is not acceptable: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona
· Start your Assignment early (Do not wait to start 48 hours before the Assignment is due).
· Remember to discuss, and elaborate in your paper.
· Discuss each question equally – for example do not write 2 pages for question 1, and 2 sentences for question 5.
· Your answers should be based on your research of the law and facts.
· Do no write about your feelings, emotions and personal experiences in a research paper.
· You can put headings in your paper to clearly identify your answers but, do not copy the question of the assignment.
· Ensure you submitted the correct paper and that it was accepted into Blackboard. Check your grade book, it is your responsibility to be sure it is submitted properly and on time.
· Use the help provided to you such as Grammarly and the Online Tutor for writing help.
· Do not write an announcement in your paper, for example, “In this paper I will discuss whether or not I believe that Facebook has a legal or ethical duty to rescue a crime victim.” I will suggest and elaborate on three (3) ways that social media platforms can be more proactive and thorough with their review of the types of content that appear on their sites.” This may increase your SafeAssign score.
· Do not write the Assignment questions in your paper.
· Do not restate facts of the assignment in your paper. This may increase your SafeAssign score.
· Do not write about your personal experiences or feelings in your paper. Write about legal cases and facts and research found.
· Do not use irrelevant diagrams, charts or pictures in your paper.
Keep Calm and Good Luck!
Page 1 of 3